Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Attitude of Gratitude

What, worry about age? Not my friend and the Mayor of our fine city, Terry Bellamy. Be inspired, as I was, by her Facebook post last evening.

Terry Bellamy

Thank you for all of the birthday wishes and birthday blessings. I appreciate your sincere acts of kindness. This birthday is very special to me, as this is my last one as Mayor of the City of Asheville.

Today, someone said to me, "I will not ask you your age because I know how women get." I am actually proud to tell my age. I am 41 years old. I was raised by a woman who gave me all that I needed and more than I could ever ask for. I have a dad, sisters and a brother who love me for being me. I have a husband who loves and supports me. I have children and a nephew who unconditionally love and care for me. Countless family members who call me, text me, FB me just to say, "I love You and I got your back." I have true friends who will laugh with me, cry with me and forgive me.

Lastly, I am Mayor of my hometown. My grandmother used to clean the homes of people at Brooks Howell Home and my grandfather worked diligently as a carpenter to provide for their children in this city --the one that I now govern. I could go on, but I won't.

So, if you think I am afraid to tell my age -- your wrong. I am blessed beyond what I could imagine. Thanks for taking the time to read my sentiments, I'm closing with the words from one of my favorite songs -- I Won't Complain, by Paul Jones:

I've had some good days
I've had some hills to climb
I've had some weary days
And some sleepless nights

But when I look around
And I think things over
All of my good days
Outweigh my bad days
I won't complain

Sometimes the clouds are low
I can hardly see the road
I ask a question, Lord
Lord, why so much pain?
But he knows what's best for me
Although my weary eyes
They can't see
So I'll just say thank you Lord
I won't complain.

Good night and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment