Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Time to Plan Ahead

We can chart our future clearly and wisely only 
when we know the path which has led to the present. -Adlai E. Stevenson

At dinner with friends recently the conversation veered in the direction of "solving the world's problems. You know those discussions, focusing in alternately on human relations, the economy, politics, and climate/environment. And the challenges we face in trying to achieve safety and justice in each of those arenas. Of course no real solutions ever come from the flow of opinions, but by listening with an open mind and putting in my own two cents, I gained some ideas that shifted my perspective and hopefully influenced others slightly as well.

In the discussion that honed in on economy and energy, there were folks who believe "technology has helped us develop the lifestyle we enjoy today, and technology will help us out when fossil fuel is gone" and others who believe that "the only answer is to give up the modern lifestyle, and live like we did in the old days." I was a bit surprised by how many times my comments reflected, in one way or another, my participation in Transition Hendersonville and Transition Asheville

The Transition Towns initiative seems to me to be a sensible melding of those two positions: employing our creative, cooperative talents to create new technologies and effective solutions and proactively, voluntarily reducing our dependence on non-sustainable behaviors that diminish our chances for long-term survival. I'm really enjoying the people I'm meeting and the skills I'm learning through The "Transition Town Initiative." It is a mindset spreading virually around the world.  

Here's a video the summarizes where we've come as a species in the developed world, where we're headed, and how we can pitch in now to prepare for "business as unusual" in the future. I hope you'll consider finding and investigating whether you want to participate in a transition group near you.


 

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Eleanor Roosevelt


No comments:

Post a Comment