Monday, February 6, 2012

Down Time

I spent the last two days "laying low". Due to my own stupidity. I misread the label on an over-the-counter medicine package last week, and wound up dosing myself with something that produced 48 hours of flu-like symptoms. Headache, indigestion, diarrhea, fatigue, and alternating chills and sweats. It wasn't till I took the second dose that I put one and one together and smacked myself on the head for being so dumb.

Luckily for me, the weather was grey and drizzly, and I had the perfect excuse to curl up in a fetal position and stay in bed. Luxuriously I slept, for four hours the first day. When I had awake energy, I watched the Hallmark channel (a guilty pleasure). And fell back to sleep, but with a smile on my face.

Once the headache went away and my stomach settled into a passive, if not yet "better", state, I had more energy and time loomed large. Amazing, isn't it? How much time and energy we devote each day to eating and the preparation for such - shopping, planning, cutting, cooking and serving - to say nothing of the clean up afterward. It's really noticeable when you're off the feedbag.

Instead of falling into my usual Type-A behavior, I made a conscious decision not to succumb to the siren song of my to-do list, but to stick with the "snow day" mentality. I collected a stack of drawing pads, art journals, my travel artist's took kit, and a cup of tea, wrapped myself in the Snuggy my mom gave me years ago for just such an occasion, and spent some delicious down time in a recliner with the shades drawn. A gal cave, if ever there was one. Here's a sample of the results.


Inspired by "The Great Bell Chant" intoned by Thich Nath Hanh







No comments:

Post a Comment