Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Now Is The Time


There is a river flowing now very fast
It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid.
They will try to hold onto the shore.
They will feel they're being torn apart and they will suffer greatly.

Know the river has its destination.
The elders say we  must let go of the shore, and push off and into the river,
Keep our eyes open, and our head above the water.

See who is there with you and celebrate.
At this time in history, we are to take nothing personally. Least of all ourselves.
For the moment that we do, our spiritual growth and journey comes to a halt.

The time of the lone wolf is over, Gather yourselves!
Banish the word struggle from your attitude and your vocabulary.
All that you do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration.

We are the ones we've been waiting for...."

This is one of my favorite quotes. It's from the Elders of the Hopi Nation, Oraibi, Arizona. For me, the quantity and complexity of challenges threatening life on our planet are overwhelming. It would have been easy for me to fall into despair, but then I hooked into "Transition Asheville" and "TransitionHendersonville," and connected with people working individually and collectively to build local “resilience” (the ability of a community to withstand and thrive in spite of sudden shocks, i.e. – developing self-reliance skills, new local systems, flexibility, and a bit of muscle.) Check out Transition U.S. to find similar activity in your area.

The influence of the Transition movement led me to spearhead our High Vista Community Garden, and that grew into High Vista Community Connections, a more general skills and idea sharing network. I am enthusiastic to see what other positive projects we as a group will initiate. 

Some people tell me there's no need to worry about the future, others say there's no hope. I look at my choices this way, every morning I work out, even though I don’t expect to take on a sizable opponent in the near future and even though I know I'm not going to reclaim the fitness I had in my twenties. So, in a similar way, why not begin now to build the strength and skills needed to face the unknown hazards that climate change, natural resource depletion and economic upheaval are likely to present in the next ten to twenty years? The benefits are social, educational, and fun. What's the downside?

"Only a crisis-actual or perceived-produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable." 
~ Milton Friedman, Capitalism and Freedom, 1962


 "I Will Be a Hummingbird"

No comments:

Post a Comment