Sunday, January 8, 2012

Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is?


I’m a Pisces. You know, the fish that swims in two directions. True to my sign, I look at almost everything from multiple perspectives, including time. My basic belief is that “Time” does not exist, except in the human mind. But, from another point of view, our awareness of time passing (a uniquely human characteristic) seems to instigate so many pressures and anxieties. Only one week of 2012 has come and gone and already I’ve heard people joke, “Boy this year is moving fast.” Maybe it’s because it was a “short week,” what with the New Year holiday, and the Rose Bowl, parade and game, being moved from Sunday, January 1, to January 2. But did that shorten anything, really?
      When I was in my previous career, I sometimes delivered Time Management workshops. I remember quoting the pundits who cleverly observed, “Time is an equal opportunity resource. We all get the same seven days a week. Nobody ever thinks they have enough, but each of us has all there is, 168 hours.”
      All true. The rub is, you never know when your time is going to run out. Five years ago a medical miracle kept my personal clock ticking and a close friend gave me the poem below, which he felt was apropos. I agreed, and hung the poster on my kitchen wall. I take the time to read it every morning.

What Will Today Bring
This is the beginning of a new Day.

God has given me this day to use as I will.

What I do today is important, because I’m exchanging a day of my life for it.

When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving in its place something I have traded for it.

I want it to be gain, not loss.

Good, not evil.

Success, not failure.

In order that I shall not regret the price
I paid for it.

Because the future is just a whole string of nows.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I am Fredda Pravitz's cousin. I love your blog - especially the little film 'How old is too old.'

    I started HOPE CARES almost three years ago to provide socialization and engagement to older adults. My only goal is to make their lives happier and to let them know how much I care about them.

    I would love to be in contact with you. Is it possible to send me your phone number?

    Many thanks
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hope - Thanks so much for your comment. I'm intrigued by your project and would like to talk in person. Will be in touch.

      Delete